Monday, August 19, 2013

Essays on Prayer # 2 by Robert Dean Steel

   Today I wish to talk about the power of worship in prayer.  In the Lord's prayer the first phrase is "Hallow be thy Name."  This is a direct link to praise and worship.  Now it is my understanding that praise is thanking God for what He has done.  Worship is praising God for who He is.  Judson Cornwall in his book, "Let us worship." says that worship is an attitude of the heart express.  I like that.  You cannot truly worship God until it has been expressed.  Unreleased worship is like a fizzy pop that has been shakened.  When it is released it sprays everywhere.  Unreleased worship needs to be released so those in our world can be sprayed with love and power of God.  Worship can come in many forms.  To those in my tradition it is released in songs of praise and the Spirit.  For those in other traditions it could be silence, shouting, playing of instruments, bowing, laying postrate on the floor or the lifting of hands.  Whatever expression the Lord leads you to do the operative word is to do it.
   I personally love to play the guitar and sing.  As I praise and worship the Lord, I may choose to sing a song or sing praise songs in my heavenly language.  God in these times inhabits my praises and it a wonderful time.  Praise and worship to me is a time to focus and get me ready for my time of prayer.  This exercise helps to reduce the cares of this life to their proper place and I release them to the Lord.  Then through praise and worship I enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.  "It becomes like the old hymn says, "The things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of your glory and grace."  Using a modern analogy.  Praise and worship is the launching pad for the booster rocket of prayer.  It is the initial power to a fantastic prayer time.  So do not neglect this opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment