Monday, February 20, 2012

Family Day Thought.

Family is such a great thing.  I am always grateful for my family.  My wife and I have been married for 32 years and our union has produced four great children and three grandchildren so far.  When I think about how far I have come and what has happened I marvel at the grace of God.  You see I did not grow up in a Christian home and our family situation was not the best.  Now my parents did the best they could with what they knew.  My mom has been married four times and my biological father and my step father did influence my life to a degree but the reality was because my mom  had to earn her own way and my fathers had only a token influence so I grew up on my own.  I got my own breakfast, lunch and many times dinners for myself.  Imagine if you will a five year making their own breakfast and lunch.  This independence was both a blessing and curse.  I did learn how to fend for myself but it also allowed me time to get into trouble.  My older brother and sister did what they could but they to were in the same situation.  I am so grateful for the fact I came to know the Lord at 17 and when I met and fell in love I determine one thing I would not have the same lifestyle for my family that I had when I grew up. I would pray for and be involved in my kids life.  I would not abdicate my responsibilities as a father.  I would be there for my kids.  Was I perfect, no, did I make mistakes, oh yes.  My kids tell great stories about my attempts at fatherhood.  But I was there and that is what they remark on the most.  Truth is guys that is the most important thing you can do is just be there, you won`t be the perfect dad but you will be there and that means more to your children than anything else.  So this family day do something with you loved ones and enjoy your many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment