Friday, February 13, 2015

Call to be salt and light

Call to be salt and light
               
Today I had the most enlightening conversation with someone who works in the restaurant industry.  What I heard both shocked and saddened me.  Now it is not something that I have not heard before but to the extent that these Christian people displayed was absolute un-Christ like in any manner.  They came into the place where this person was working and the following four words best describes them.  They were snarky, rude, demanding and pushy.  They treated the staff of this establishment with selfishness and disdain.  Now if this was an isolated incident it could be over looked but this happens every Sunday  and Wednesday nights.  Then after all this they had the nerve to try and hand the some of the staff, tracts .  I have heard this over and over again from people in the service industry.  Christians are the rudest, most demanding customers they have.  The Sunday crowd is dreaded the most.   We come from our houses of worship all pumped up and full of Christian love and then some poor server has to put up with our picky, rude and demanding behavior.  You wonder why so many people are turned off by Christians.  Stop it.
                When I was younger I use to put buttons and decals on myself and my car.  Then one day I reacted wrongly and shot my testimony all the pieces.  One of my unsaved friends said, “You are some advertisement for Jesus.”  My heart broke that day for two reasons, first ,because of my selfishness and secondly because I had maligned the name of the Lord.  It was quite a wake up call.  Do I always succeed in being the best witness for the Lord, no, but I try.  I just wish more of you would.  Here is a reality.  By your actions in restaurants and places where people serve you if you have done any of the things I have described you have just turned a person from heaven to hell.  So repent and next time you go into a place where people are serving you, be the best customer you can be and maybe you can redeem yourself and in time make a difference for Christ in the marketplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment