Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Letters to David - Letters written to a friend by a disciple of Jesus Christ on his journey of prayer. Letter Three

Hello David

What I find fascinating today is that I went to my time of prayer and I did not feel all that inspired or even powerful. I have often wondered if emotion and enthusiasm is the key to prayer. Does God hear us more when we are focused and directed as much as when we seem to pray out of duty and obedience.
This to me is a paradox in prayer. At times you really feel the anointing and power of the Holy Spirit. Everything fits and feels right and yet other times it is dry and lifeless. You know God hears and answers prayer. The word declares it. Ask anything in the name of Jesus and you will have it. So the reality is that God hears you whether you feel the emotion or not. He promised in Matt 28:20 that He would never forsake you or leave you so I guess emotion has little to do with the power of prayer. God answers prayer out of grace and mercy. He answers because we ask and not because we feel inspired or emotional at the time. James says in James 4:2, that we have not because we asked not. So I think I will just ask.
I will never completely understand the whole concept of prayer. I know it is the means by which we comminucate with God. That part I get. The part I struggle with is why it seems at times He answers right away and other times it takes so long. Then the other times where He almost seems to ignore us. I am aware that He answers three ways, Yes, No and wait awhile. I love when He says Yes, I do not like it when He says no but this wait a while really is hard. I read in Isaiah 40:31, that they who wait upon the Lord shall be renew in strength, they will mount up with wings as eagles, they can run and not be weary, they shall not walk and not faint. But waiting is so hard. I am also aware that the will of God and comedy have one similarity, timing. I know all things things but it never makes it easy. I suppose that is where faith and trust come in.

Your Friend

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment