Friday, February 5, 2021

Feb 5 - Vignettes on Prayer

 Feb 5 - Vignettes on Prayer

 

     Paul writes in Eph 5:19, Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your hearts to the Lord.  We can see from this portion that prayer can take many forms.  It can be part of a set liturgy or ritual, and it can be performed alone or in groups. Prayer may take the form of a hymn, formal creedal statement, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person.  Never limit how you pray.  I myself often read formal prayers out of manuals in which I have prepared over the years.  These written prayers bring clarity and format.  Other times I will pray what I call unscripted prayers where I will pray what is on my heart.  Music, song, hymns and spiritual songs are just another way or format to pray.  Prayer is as diverse as the person who is praying.  Never limit yourself to a format or very quickly prayer can became, dull boring and unfruitful.  Be creative, resourceful and spontaneous when it comes to prayer.  It is an exciting exercise so use it well and it will fulfill, excite and delight you.

No comments:

Post a Comment