Sunday, September 13, 2026

A LIFE OF HONOR

 


A Sunday School teacher of pre-schoolers was concerned that his students might be a little confused about Jesus Christ because of the Christmas season emphasis on His birth. He wanted to make sure they understood that the birth of Jesus occurred for real.  He asked his class, "Where is Jesus today?"  Steven raised his hand and said, "He's in heaven."  Mary was called on and answered, "He's in my heart."  Little Johnny, waving his hand furiously, blurted out, "I know, I know! He's in our bathroom!!!"  The whole class got very quiet, looked at the teacher, and waited for a response. The teacher was completely at a loss for a few very long seconds. Finally, he gathered his wits and asked Little Johnny how he knew this.Little Johnny said, "Well... every morning, my father gets up, bangs on the bathroom door, and yells, 'Good Lord, are you still in there?!

 

Today we are looking at the last three qualities of John, who he was and these are qualities we need in or lives.  These last three are very important to recognize because they hit at the core of who we are in Christ and why some things happen we do not understand.

 

11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

 

1.      John first of all was honored by Jesus Christ.  Jesus called him the greatest of all who were born of all women.  Jesus honored John.  Honor comes when you honor the Lord.  Promotion comes when you are faithful in the small things.  Over the years people have asked me quite sincerely, “What do I get for serving the Lord.”  Peter asked the same question in Matt 19:27, some people have called this a silly question but I have a different view because if we are honest we have asked this question especially when tough times come.  So let me list you the rewards of serving the Lord.

a.       The Crown of Life is referred to in James 1:12 and Revelation 2:10; it is bestowed upon "those who persevere under trials."  Jesus references this crown when he tells the Church in Smyrna to "not be afraid of what you are about to suffer... Be faithful even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.”

 

b.      The Incorruptible Crown is also known as the Imperishable Crown, and is referenced in 1 Corinthians 9:25.  It is therefore given to those individuals who demonstrate "self-denial and perseverance"

c.      The Crown of Righteousness is mentioned in 2 Timothy 4:8, and is promised to "those who love and anticipate" the Second Coming of Christ.  These Christians desire intimacy with God.

d.      The Crown of Glory is discussed in 1 Peter 5:4 and is granted to Christian clergy, who "shepherd the flock in unselfish love being a good example to others.

e.      The Crown of Rejoicing is also known as the Crown of Exultation, or Crown of Auxiliary.

 1 Thessalonians 2:19 and Philippians 4:1, it is given to people who engage in evangelism of those outside the Christian Church.

f.       There are the rewards to the overcomers in Rev 2-3

g.      The greatest reward is when you stand before Jesus and He says, “Well done good and faithful servant enter into my rest.”  You do not want to hear he say the other phrase.  “Depart from ne I never knew you.”  I like you want to be honored by Christ. 

 

2.      Did no miracles.  John did not do one miracle in his whole ministry.  He had disciples and they followed his example but he never did miracles.  He is called the greatest of prophets and yet he did no miracles.  Why am I making this point?  All we are called to do is be faithful.  John was not doing miracles because the miracle worker was coming right after him.  Now I have seen many miracles.  I have seen legs grow, ears and eyes open, people touch from all forms of afflictions.  I have seen provision and Household salvation.  If you have never seen any of this do not worry about it.  John was a great prophet, proclaimer of truth, messenger of God.  He was faithful to what he was called to do.  All God is looking for is faithfulness, obedience, endurance, persistence and commitment.  Billy Graham did not have miracles and was the greatest evangelist is the Western world.  Rhinehart Bonke was the most effective evangelist to Africa and saw many miracles.  There was a difference in calling emphasis and audience.   All we are called to do is reach our world.  To love, accept and forgive them.  So do what you are called to do, stand on the word, pray for people when the opportunity presents itself and leave the results to God.

              

3.      We faithful to the end.  Matt 14:10, John had made an enemy of Herodias and Herod because of their union.  It was not proper in Jewish law.  This made him an enemy of them and led to his imprisonment and death.  Herod’s daughter dance before Herod and her request for reward was the head of John the Baptist at the suggestion of Herodias.  The lesson we learn is the Lord is looking us to be faithful to the end.  There is no guarantee of the end result.  Jesus died on the cross.  All the disciples except John were martyred.  All God is looking for from us is that we end well.  Remember it is not how you start but how you end that matters.  You do not get the prize at the beginning of the race but the end.  You do not win the fight, war or prize until the end.  Now I have alluded already to what we will receive.  You have no control over how your life ends but you trust God that you have lived well.  Life is not a fairy tale with happily ever after.  Life is about living well and being faithful to the end.  We have an enemy who would love to rob, kill and destroy your calling and sidetrack your life.  He will use accusation, temptation and deception to make this happen.  You submit to God and he will have to flee.  You have the power in the name of Jesus to say no and defeat him.  Don’t let him, people or circumstances keep you from finishing well.  Living ready and being ready for the coming of the Lord is living well.  Ever since I have entered in this phase of my life I have been very pragmatic.  I know that life has no guarantee.  My birthday is this month and I will be 39 again.  Every funeral I perform or attend makes me aware of that.  In the news every day we read, hear or see people dying quickly and unexpectedly.  We all know people who have had their lives cut short.  I am not trying to be morbid and I want to make a point.  We must live ready, be faithful and obedient.  God is calling us to be faithful to the end and He will reward you.  Talk about my vision in heaven and the homecoming with Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment